Casper Fire-EMS: Child Playing With Lighter Starts Small Fire
The Casper Fire-EMS Department reported a child playing with a lighter caused a small fire in an apartment on Sunday, according to a news release.
Fire crews responded to a reported structure fire at 2300 E. 18th St about 12:50 p.m., and were told a chair had been set on fire. The occupants put it out.
Firefighters helped remove smoke from the apartment and determined a 6-year-old child playing with a lighter started the fire.
Six units from Casper Fire-EMS responded, as did officers from the Casper Police Department and an ambulance from Wyoming Medical Center.
There were no injuries reported, and the occupants will be able to stay in the apartment.
Casper Fire-EMS reminds the public that matches and lighters should be kept out of reach of children, with a locked cabinet being the ideal storage location.
Any lighters that look like toys can confuse children and cause fires, so buy child-resistant lighters.
Talk with children about the importance of fire safety. Children who find lighters and matches should tell responsible adults about them.
In this event, a smoke alarm alerted the adults in the residence. Smoke alarms save lives, and cut the risk of dying in a home fire by half. Smoke alarms should be installed and maintained in every home.