Komen Wyoming Wins Award for Statewide Collaboration
The Wyoming Affiliate of Susan G. Komen® is proud to announce the receipt of the “Collaboration Project: Wyoming Women First” award. This award is presented to Komen Wyoming through a partnership with Susan G. Komen® and General Electric. G.E. has been partnering for the Wyoming Women First program since 2012, in order to increase screening rates in the state. Wyoming is currently 50th in the nation for screening rates, falling well below the national average (BRFSS 2012). In order to address this dismal screening data, Komen Wyoming is currently partnering with individual counties across the state. “At the close of National Breast Cancer Month and the promotional efforts surrounding Komen’s 2014 grantees located in 19 of the 23 counties and the statewide “Pink Games”, we now have another level of excitement.” stated Candida Odde, Komen Wyoming Missions Manager.
“As Wyoming women have an average of 70 miles to travel just to get screenings, there are some very tangible barriers in access to care.” said Maria Medina, Komen Wyoming Executive Director. “With this award, Komen Wyoming will focus on connecting the dots for services throughout the state by holding regional conferences and collaboration groups in order to assess statewide assets and deficits. This will help in two major ways. The first way is to strengthen relationships between Komen Wyoming and Wyoming counties by inducing conversations, and the second way is to assess what needs exist across the state. This will help guide future Komen Wyoming funding priorities. In collaboration with agencies/individuals throughout the state, Komen Wyoming will produce a Resource Directory highlighting the services in every county. Our hope is that this will make it easier for Wyoming women to navigate the health systems in regards to breast cancer/health. As women feel more in control of and educated about breast health, they will most likely have earlier diagnoses and earlier access treatment, which increases their prognosis of survival.”
About Susan G. Komen® and the Komen Wyoming Affiliate
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen, the world’s largest breast cancer organization. The Wyoming Affiliate is one of over 100 Affiliates on the front lines dedicated to ending breast cancer in their communities. Komen Affiliates fund innovative programs that help women and men overcome the cultural, social, educational and financial barriers to breast cancer screening and treatment. Through events like the Komen Wyoming Race for the Cure, the Wyoming Affiliate has invested over $2M in community breast cancer programs in Wyoming. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stay in the state, while the remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research. For more information, call 307-432-4029 or visit www.komenwyoming.org.