Send a Care Package to a Soldier
The Big Brothers Big Sisters has a little way for us to Give Big Thanks!
January is National Mentoring Month, and Big Brothers Big Sisters invites you to participate in our National Mentoring Month activity, “A Little Way to Give Big Thanks.” We’d like to model the importance to our Littles of showing appreciation to the United States military. We have boxes ready to be packed with goodies and letters that will be mailed to troops from Wyoming who are currently deployed.
You may choose to write a letter of thanks, pick a treat or two, or pack a full care package. Through January 31, Big Brothers Big Sisters will be accepting letters, items for care packages, and/or completed care packages. Packages will be mailed the first week of February.
When choosing items for care packages, please consider the following:
· Non-melting candy (no chocolate, no jolly ranchers)
· Non-perishable snacks (Any edible treats must be unopened and prepackaged)
· Handheld games
· Frisbees or other items to pass time
· Toiletries (please place any liquids inside a zip bag in case it breaks open)
· Ideas that are often not thought of — school supplies, stuffed animals, small toys — these can be given by the service member to children in their area
Please note the items that will not be accepted (APO/FPO/DPO Guidelines and Restrictions 1). There is a strict list provided by the United States Postal Service of items that CANNOT be sent. Prohibited items include:
· Obscene articles (prints, paintings, cards, films, videotapes, etc).
· Any matter depicting nude or seminude persons, pornographic or sexual items, or non-authorized political materials.
· Bulk quantities of religious materials contrary to the Islamic faith. (Items for the personal use of the addressee are permissible.)
· Pork or pork by-products
Big Brothers Big Sisters are looking forward to putting together these packages, and hope you will join us in showing our gratitude, and teaching the youth in our community the same to those who serve our country. For more information, contact Big Brothers Big Sisters at 265-2227.