Five Wyoming Towns On Santa’s Naughty List
Santa Claus is making a list and he's checking it twice, he's gonna find out who's naughty and nice. Here in Wyoming, there are five towns that might show up on St. Nick's naughty list this year.
Based on Usa.com's crime index, which factors statistics on a variety of crimes in towns across the country, these are the five naughtiest towns in the Cowboy State.
1. Riverton - Due to a high percentage of assaults, burglaries and robberies, Riverton has the highest crime rate in the state, with an overall crime index of 2,131.
2. Jackson - Thefts help propel this tourist town to the second highest crime rate in Wyoming, scoring a crime index of 1,893.
3. Rock Springs - Drug related arrests in Rock Springs account for most of the criminal activity in this town. With a crime index of 1,832, it ranked as the third unsafest place in the state.
4. Mills - Assault and property theft land this Casper suburb on Santa's naughty list. It has the fourth highest crime index in the state, with an overall score of 1,715.
5. Powell - Rounding out the five towns with the highest overall crime rates, it's score of 1,703 makes Powell one of the most dangerous places in Wyoming.
Now for the good news. Wyoming is among the ten safest states in the country, In fact, its crime index of 1,161 is the 8th lowest nationwide and far below the national average of 1,696.
Wyoming also ranks below national averages for every major crime, including murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts and car thefts (click here for statewide crime statistics).
While some folks in Riverton, Jackson, Rock Springs, Mills and Powell might be getting a lump of coal in their stockings this year, the rest of us should be just fine.