Beartooth Photography
Beartooth Photography

A Montana judge on Monday sentenced a Casper man to three years of probation for negligent homicide in a motorcycle crash that killed K2 Radio morning host Brian Scott Gamroth in Montana in 2016, according to court records.

William Michael Spicer also was ordered to pay a fine of $5,000 and a $120 fine for a misdemeanor speeding charge, according to the sentence handed down by Judge Jon Oldenburg of the 10th Judicial District Court in Judith Basin County, Mont.

The three-year probation term is a deferred three-year prison term.

The court agreed to abide by these terms of a plea agreement in October.

Spicer was charged and pleaded not guilty in March with the two counts six months after the motorcycle accident that killed Gamroth on Sept. 18, 2016.

On Oct. 2, Spicer entered his nolo contendere (no contest) plea to the felony negligent homicide charge and a guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of daytime speeding, according to court records.

"Defendant acknowledged he had reviewed all of the evidence for Count I, negligent homicide, and believed his plea was in his best interests and he did not want to go to trial," according to court records.

Spicer has been free on his own recognizance.

Under Montana law, conviction of negligent homicide is punishable by up to 20 years of imprisonment, a fine of up to $50,000 or both. Conviction of daytime speeding in excess of 20 mph is punishable by a fine of $120, according to court documents.

Court records say the accident happened Sept. 18, 2016, when vehicles and motorcycles were traveling east on U.S. Highway 87 in Judith Basin County. Gamroth pulled out to pass some of the vehicles and safely pulled back into the line of traffic.

Spicer followed. Witnesses said they were driving at the 70 mph speed limit, and Spicer was traveling at least 90 mph, according to court records. "Multiple witnesses reported they considered Defendant's driving and his passing of vehicles to be a 'bad pass.'"

Spicer pulled back into the line of traffic, and his motorcycle hit Gamroth's motorcycle. Gamroth's motorcycle went into a ditch. He struck a wooden post and was pronounced dead at the scene.


After the plea agreement in October, Gamroth family spokesman Casper attorney Rich Jamieson, a Casper attorney, said the family is aware of the plea and declined to comment.

"The Gamroth family once again has no comment and is allowing the criminal justice system in Montana to work its course," Jamieson said.



More From My Country 95.5