How Wyoming Can Help Tornado Victims
From all over America helping is rushing to those in need in Kentucky and the other states hit by devastating tornadoes.
The best way to help from home is just to send cash to the charity of your choice and let them get what they need.
Many of these organizations are experts and experienced in exactly what needs to be done and how.
Here are some ways to help
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear established the Team Western Kentucky Tornado Relief Fund just for this storm.
- You can donate blood through the American Red Cross. Just make an appointment online or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767). American Red Cross also provides shelter for those displaced by the tornadoes. To send money to the Red Cross donate here.
- The Salvation Army is on the job as always. They have shelter and care on the way. This also includes clothing and bedding.
- The Mayfield Community Foundation has set up a GoFundMe for those who want to donate cash directly to help at needed locations.
- These people need food, right now. Kentucky branch of Feeding America is distributing ready-to-eat bagged meals. Donations can be made to the tornado relief fund.
- Global Giving and GoFundMe for all 6 states hit by the storm. GoFundMe has also verified dozens more local fundraisers for each community that was hit.
- Want to go down there and help? A local fire department is accepting volunteers via Facebook message. Gov. Andy Beshear has asked for volunteers to assist the Kentucky State Parks. That program is sheltering residents who no longer have a home.
Mercury One is offering direct donations. Kinda like one-stop for helping.
How to avoid charity scams
- Don't know the name of the charity? Avoid them. Also, look for mirror sites that look like known charities but are not.
- Only legitimate organization or a group that has a proven record of delivering aid.
- Do NOT donate to anyone calling claiming to be from a charity.
- To find out who is legit use the Charity Navigator which lists reputable organizations. Great Nonprofits and Give Well has reviews of nonprofits so you can make an informed decision.