UPDATE: Casper Structure Fire On the 1000 Block of Sussex
UPDATE: Casper Fire-EMS deem the cause of the structure fire that occured September 17th an electrical outlet failure.
None of the home's occupants were physically harmed.
Most electrical fires are caused by faulty outlets or sockets that aren't properly grounded.
Outdated electric wiring is also a common cause of electrical fires. If your home is over twenty years old, it might not have the wiring capacity to handle all the appliances in today's average home: wide-screen TVs, multiple computers/lap tops, ovens, a washer and dryer...etcetera.
Old wiring tends to heat up quickly and catches fire easily.
It can be tricky knowing if you have unsafe wiring when it is hidden behind the walls of your home, but critical to assess for fire hazard.
These are the signs of hidden electric issues:
- Unexplained burning smell
- Shock or sparks from appliances and outlets
- Excessive heat from electrical devices
- Intermittent power outages or flickering lights
- Recurring problems with tripped breakers or blown fuses
- A tingling feeling when touching electrical appliances
- Discolored wall outlets or switches
- Cracked or broken wall outlets
September 17th: There was a structure fire at approximately 10:45 PM on the 1000 block of Sussex, according to a Casper Fire-EMS news release.
When firefighters arrived, they found heavy smoke coming from the structure.
"Firefighters gained access and used multiple hose lines to extinguish the fire.
Occupants were home at the time of the fire and had evacuated prior to
There were no reported injuries as a result of the fire.
A significant amount of smoke damage was found throughout the structure, and the occupants were unable to return that evening. They are being assisted by the Natrona County Red Cross.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Casper Fire-EMS responded with 5 units, the on-duty battalion chief, and
fire investigators from the Natrona County Interagency Fire Investigation
Crews were assisted by Banner Wyoming Medical Center, Casper
Police, Casper Public Safety Tele-Communicators, Black Hills Energy, and Rocky
Casper Fire-EMS reminds everyone that working smoke alarms save lives.
Smoke alarms should be located on every floor of your residence, in common
living areas and in sleeping areas.