Wyoming Is One Of The Few Pro-Raccoon States
For some people talking to their pet may be the only time they say a word during the day. Pets are an important part of many people's lives.
When it comes to choosing a pet, for some, it's a difficult task. There are many factors you have to figure into the situation before making your final decision.
Here are some of those things you need to consider:
- Finances - what kind of pet can you afford
- Schedule - what kind of pet can you fit into your free time
- Lifestyle - are you too active for some pets or too inactive for others
- Affects On Life - Does this pet fit into your future plans?
- Current Pet Situation - Is adding another pet going to interfere with the pets you already have?
- Legalities - Are you allowed to have a pet or certain species for pets?
Looking at those potential issues before just going out and getting a pet will be very beneficial.
Let's focus for a minute on the last of those "potential issues"...Legalities.
Can you legally have that certain pet you're thinking about getting? Your landlord, town or states have laws against you having a certain number of pets and even as far as if you can actually have a certain animal as a pet.
One pet in particular we're talking about is the Raccoon. The "Procyon lotor".
According to wisevoter.com, if you're in 37 of the 50 United States, you CAN NOT have a raccoon as a pet.
That means there are 13 States where it's ok to have a pet Raccoon, and luckily for you, Wyoming is one of those 13 states.
The other 12 states:
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
Just because you can have a pet raccoon, there are a couple downsides to it.
- Short lifespan of only 2 to 3 years
- Can carry rabies
- Known as biters
- Vet care may be tough
- Constant supervision
- Can be loud and disruptive
If you do decide to take on a pet raccoon, what are you going to name it? Bob doesn't seem to work.
Here are some interesting options to name your pet raccoon, from Animal Hype.com, you've maybe heard of:
- Ranger Rick
If you decide to take on a raccoon, we'd love to see some pictures of your critter send them to us HERE