Yellowstone Eagle with Foot Tracker Dies from Lead Poisoning
Sad news to pass along as the National Park Service has reported that a golden eagle with foot tracking in Yellowstone has died of lead poisoning.
The NPS said in a press release that a golden eagle was found dead near Phantom Lake in Yellowstone National Park. This was the first adult female eagle that was marked with a foot transmitter. The eagle had a lethal amount of lead in its system.
The National Park Service press release indicated that they believe the eagle ate carrion with lead fragments and the death does not appear connected to the radio transmitter. They encourage hunters to use non-lead ammunition as it's much safer for hunting birds like eagles.
This golden eagle had been tracked extensively through the northern part of Yellowstone late last summer and fall.
You can read more details directly from the full press release from the National Park Service from their website.