Cowgirls Open NIT Play With 4-2 Victory Over Appalachian State
* University of Wyoming press release
PEACHTREE CITY, Ga., – The Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team won its first postseason national tournament match in program history Wednesday as the No. 5 seed Cowgirls upset fourth-seeded Appalachian State, 4-2 in the quarterfinals of the inaugural Universal Tennis NIT Championship.
The Cowgirls (15-10) started off strong in Wednesday’s win, clinching the Doubles Point behind the strength of victories at the No. 1 and 3 positions.
The All-Mountain West duo of Ana Fernandez and Sophie Zehender at No. 1 and Noesjka Brink and Nikol Dobrilova at No. 3, both won 6-3 in their matches to clinch for Wyoming. UW was also leading the second position at the time of clinch as well.
In singles, Zehender clinched for the Cowgirls at the first spot. Wyoming clinched indoors, after play was suspended due to rain and moved from the outdoor courts. Zehender rallied to win a three-set thriller, 2-6, 6-4 and 6-3. Wyoming also got wins at No. 3 and 6 to clinch, both of which came in straight sets. Brink won at the third spot, 6-4 and 7-5 while at No. 6, Fernandez came out on top 6-2, 6-4.
Wyoming now advances to Friday’s semifinal round to face top-seeded TCU. Match time has yet to be announced, stay tuned to GoWyo.com for the time announcement. Friday’s match will once again be streamed live on Amazon Prime Video.
Wyoming 4, Applachian State 2
1. Ana Fernandez/Sophie Zehender (WYO) def. Dada-Mascoll/Murphy (APP) 6-3
2. Violetta Borodina/Maria Oreshkina (WYO) vs. Jansen/Dodridge (APP) 4-3, unfinished
3. Noesjka Brink/Nikol Dobrilova (WYO) def. Pate/Ryan-Bovey (APP) 6-3
1. Zehender (WYO) def. Jansen (APP) 2-6, 6-4 and 6-3
2. Dada-Mascoll (APP) def. Oreshkina (WYO) 7-5, 6-3
3. Brink (WYO) def. Pate (APP) 6-4, 7-5
4. Borodina (WYO) vs. Dodridge (APP) 6-3, 3-6, 2-3, unfinished
5. Ryan-Bovey (APP) def. Dobrilova (WYO) 6-4, 6-4
6. Fernandez (WYO) def. Murphy (APP) 6-2, 6-4
10 Reasons Why You're Lucky to Be Living in Wyoming
- 10 Reasons Why You're Lucky to Be Living in Wyoming,