A fireplace has been named as the cause of a fire that damaged a west Casper trailer and caused a family to flee the home Monday night. Casper Fire-EMS says they were dispatched to 70 Yucca Circle at 8:48 p.m. to reports that a fire had started in or near the wood burning fireplace, and the residents were evacuating.

When they arrived they found smoke coming from the door and windows of the trailer home, and one man was on the roof trying to put out the fire. Fire units helped him to the ground, then entered the home and quickly put out a small fire around and above the wood burning fireplace.

The family in the trailer was able to get out before Casper Fire-EMS arrived. The man who tired to put out the fire suffered minor burns to his feet from walking on the roof above the fire. He was assessed by Wyoming Medical Center paramedics on scene and refused treatment and transport to Wyoming Medical Center.

Casper Fire-EMS says the origin of the fire was found to be the wood burning fireplace, but it is unknown if it was a due to a malfunction or inappropriate use.  The trailer suffered moderate damage around the fireplace, but overall, the home and contents were unharmed.

The Casper Fire-EMS Department says they'd like to remind everyone that working smoke detectors save lives. In this case, the parents were still awake and able to get the children up and safely out of the trailer. However, fires don’t always happen when someone is awake, and they say in those cases working smoke detectors can make the difference between escaping and being trapped. If you have any questions about smoke detectors and how to install them, you can contact your neighborhood fire station or their Community Risk Reduction division.

More From My Country 95.5