The History of Buford, Wyoming
Buford was established in the late 1860s, as the railroad moved west from Cheyenne to Laramie. It was named for John Buford, who was a Union Officer in the Civil War.
John Buford commanded a cavalry brigade during the second battle of Bull Run. Although he was wounded, he later distinguished himself at Antietam and Chancellorsville. Buford's finest moment was at Gettysburg, when he helped delay the advancing Confederate Army, securing the high ground for Union soldiers.
Unfortunately, Buford didn't live long enough to visit the town that would later bear his name. After falling ill in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln personally acknowledged his service, promoting him to the rank of Major General. Buford died the next day.
By the end of the 1860s, the town of Buford had swelled to a population of nearly 2,000. In 1900, a post office was built, which remained in service until 2004.
In 1992, Don Sammons purchased the town, which consisted of a convenience store, gas station and one home. After his wife died and his son moved away, Sammons was the only resident left.
In 2012, Buford was sold at auction to a Vietnamese businessman named Phạm Đình Nguyên, who has since renamed the town "PhinDeli Town Buford".