Cooking With Nyke: Easy One-Pot Cajun Pasta [VIDEO]
If you want to add a little spice to your dinner, but you don't have a lot of time, this is the dish for you. It's a tasty and easy One-Pot Cajun Pasta. It will feed 4 - 6 adults, no matter how hardy the appetite.
As always, feel free to experiment with different meats and veggies. This was just how I made it to give you a basis. Don't forget though, playtime in the kitchen often leads to great innovations.
Here's my recipe!
- - Olive Oil (2 Tbsp.)
- - 3 Diced Chicken Breasts
- - Andouille or Smoked Sausage (14 oz, sliced)
- - Garlic (3 cloves, minced)
- - Yellow or Red Onion (1, sliced)
- - Red Pepper (1, sliced)
- - Green Pepper (1, sliced)
- - Mushrooms (2 cups)
- - Jalapenos (3, optional)
- - Habeneros (3, optional)
- - 16 oz box of the pasta of your choice (we used Bowties)
- - Chicken broth (5 cups)
- - Alfredo or Heavy Cream (1 cup)
- - Shredded Parmesan (1 cup)
- - Cajun Seasoning (1 Tbsp.) *You can use a store-bought Cajun spice mix or make your own! Equal parts cayenne pepper, onion powder, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper*
Pour olive oil into the pot. Add diced chicken breast to the pot, cover with cajun seasoning, and stir until the chicken is evenly seasoned. Then, add sliced sausage and stir. Cook the meat on medium heat for 5 -10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Once the meat is cooked, add in the garlic, onion, peppers, and mushrooms, and stir. Continue stirring for 3 - 5 minutes as the veggies cook down.
Add the dry pasta to the pot (if using long, thin noodles, break in half), then pour in the chicken broth. Stir until everything is well-mixed. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, keep covered bring the heat down to a simmer for 10 minutes (stirring every two minutes). If there still extra chicken broth, you can discard it, cook longer until the liquid evaporates or add a little cornstarch to thicken the liquid.
Lastly, add alfredo (or heavy cream) and parmesan and stir until your pasta is well blended. Garnish with green onions, more parmesan and a sprinkle of Cajun seasoning.