Casper Changes Extra Trash Collection Days Schedule
A lot of Casper residents wanted the city to change its extra garbage collection schedule, and that will happen beginning Tuesday.
For years, residents have had two extra collection days a month for trash and bulky items.
But many of them erroneously believed the branches they set out were taken to the compost yard and recycled, the city's solid waste manager Cynthia Langston said in a prepared statement.
Instead the branches were mixed with the trash and taken to the landfill, Langston said.
So the city will set one extra collection day per month solely for branches, she said. "(That) easily addresses our citizens’ desires to reuse branches, save landfill space, and have curbside collection convenience."
Starting Tuesday, one extra collection day each month from March through October will be for branches.
In November, extra collection days will be solely for leaves.
In December and January, extra collection days will be for trash and bulky items.
In February, there will be no extra collection day.
Here are the guidelines:
- On branch collection days, residents may place bundles up to five feet in length, weighing no more than 50 pounds.
- On extra trash collection days, residents may place up to five items.
- The items may be a combination of bags of securely tied trash, furniture and other items, or up to four car or pickup truck tires without the rims.
- Each item may not weigh more than 50 pounds.
- During leaf collection, only bagged leaves may be placed for collection. There is no limit to the number of bags. Leaves need to be free of trash.
The city’s February water bill has an insert about the extra collection schedule and the guidelines.
Residents who do not receive a water bill can view the insert at the city's website. Likewise, residents may find their collection days on the website.